From popular tourist attractions to lesser-known areas, Dolores shares destinations in Maryland as well as regional day trips.
Berlin, Maryland, is a small town, a National Register Historic District just minutes from Ocean City. Berlin offers visitors a quaint, historic commercial area featuring restaurants, a tea room, antique shops, boutiques, galleries, and the beautifully restored Atlantic Hotel.
Before 1800, the area once called Stevenson's Crossroads was located on a part of land granted to William Tomkins in 1677. An inn called the Burley Inn after a late 18th-century plantation called Burley Plantation gave the town its name. Incorporated in 1868, Berlin is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable. The name Berlin is a contraction of the two words Burley Inn.
The 1998 Paramount film Runaway Bride, starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere was filmed in and around Berlin. The movie Tuck Everlasting (2002) starring Sissy Spacek, William Hurt, and Ben Kingsly, was shot there as well.
Berlin hosts many seasonal events including the July Bathtub Races, Art Strolls, Ghost Walks, and musical events like September's Fiddler's Convention. December offers a Christmas Parade and New Year's Eve Ball Drop and Celebration.
The Atlantic Hotel in Berlin
The Atlantic Hotel at 2 Main Street was built in 1895. A wide front porch offers wooden rocking chairs and an opportunity to people watch and make new friends.
The beautifully restored interior offers a cozy atmosphere with authentic Victorian décor. Dine in the Drummer's Cafe named after the old-time traveling salesmen once called "drummers," who filled the hotel rooms a century ago. Check out the old photographs that line the halls and decorate the lobby.
The hotel has its quirks, as all old buildings should. Lights go off unexpectedly and doors close by themselves in what may be the work of ghosts. Some claim that a ghostly young child wanders the halls at night, while others claim the ghosts came with the newly purchased antique furniture during a restoration.
Accommodations include a gardener's cottage and suites. Each room is uniquely decorated.
Rayne's Reef opened up shop over 100 years ago. The quaint old soda fountain and luncheonette offers old-time ambiance at 10 Main Street. Popping into Rayne's is like a visit to yesteryear. Treat yourself to a root beer float, cherry cola, or one of their delicious milkshakes and suddenly realize that ice cream is good for you!
Read More from WanderWisdom
Serving breakfast and lunch as well as classic soda fountain fare, Ranye's is a must-stop after a stroll around town.
Calvin B. Taylor Museum
The Calvin B Taylor Museum at 208 Main Street is a restored early 19th-century home that offers local historic artifacts and memorabilia in period settings. The charming historic rooms and seasonal events make the museum a great place to learn about the old Eastern Shore.
Berlin Maryland Historic Architecture
Berlin offers a mixed bag of Federal, Victorian, and early 20th-century architecture including shops, homes, and churches.
Saint Paul's Episcopal Church at 3 Church Street was built in 1825 and still holds services. Severely damaged in a 1904 storm, the church was rebuilt in a different style.
Art Galleries and Craft Shops
A fine selection of galleries featuring hand made crafts and fine arts grace Berlin's main drag. Every second Friday of the month, Berlin offers an Art Stroll featuring live music. Walk the lovely streets and check out some galleries. Here is a partial list:
- The Globe at 12 Broad Street is a restaurant in an old theater that offers national and regional music in a setting decorated with the work of local artists.
- JJ Fish Studio and Fine Crafts Gallery at 14 Main Street is a great place to check out contemporary crafts including pottery, jewelry, glass, wood, and textile arts.
- Bungalow Love is a tiny shop at 12 William Street offering an eclectic mix of home décor and gifts, fair trade items, and vintage ware including mirrors framed with salvaged wood from the Ocean City Boardwalk.
- Baked Dessert Cafe & Gallery located at 4C Bay Street is home to beautifully crafted desserts, fine wine, and fine art. Yummy desserts and fine art—what a fabulous combination!
- Henry Fine Arts LLC at 4C Bay Street features the work of Patrick L Henry, a renowned regional artist whose work depicts seascapes, wetlands, historic, and iconic scenes of the Eastern Shore.
- Urban Nectar at 10019 Old Ocean City Blvd. is an interesting mix of food, entertainment, events, and local art. Offering classes in various arts and crafts, this shop also hosts a farmers' market.
Take a Ride Around Berlin Maryland
Berlin is just south of Route 50 as you can see on the map
Berlin Chamber of Commerce
- Visit Berlin MD | Events | History | Berlin Maryland Chamber of Commerce
Berlin Maryland Chamber of Commerce is your Guide to Berlin Maryland, including events, maps, virtual tour, chamber information, and historic overview. Just a short drive to Ocean City and Assateague Island National Seashore, the town of Berlin enjoy
The Atlantic Hotel's Ghosts
© 2013 Dolores Monet