Wending Your Way Through Wednesday
The next time you visit the Jersey Shore, you might want to skip the beach and head for the Farmers' Market, which is located on Asbury Avenue between 5th and 6th Streets behind the Ocean City Tabernacle.
Whether you're looking for fresh, local fruits and vegetables or a variety of sweet and/or savory treats, this is the place to be. Or perhaps you'd rather enjoy perusing a plethora of creative crafts as you munch on a crisp apple or a chocolate chip biscotti. Fear not—you'll find those here, too.
What's for Lunch?
From mini meals to tempting treats, the Ocean City Farmers' Market has it all. In fact, the food selection is so overwhelming, it's probably best to take a leisurely stroll through the whole market before you decide exactly which items you're going to purchase.
Some of the vendors make your job easier (or more difficult, depending on how you look at it) by providing samples. While you're browsing, you might want to snack on some of the sweet and savory treats that are available: various nuts, several varieties of crunchy snack mixes, sesame sticks, and assorted dried berries. If you're thirsty, you can choose to quench your thirst with cooling beverages like lemonade, various "healthy" drinks, or peach cider, just to name a few.
If you arrive around lunchtime (or, for that matter, any time you're hungry), you might be attracted to the tomato pie and/or Ike's seafood, accompanied by a healthy treat of fresh peaches, blueberries, or strawberries available at several stands throughout the marketplace.
How About Dessert?
Dessert could pose a problem since there are so many yummy-looking choices. If you're like me, you'll probably end up purchasing a variety of treats to go. Some of the mouth-watering offerings include gourmet doughnuts (of the many creative confections, the Oreo cookie doughnut was one of my favorites), biscotti, key lime pie, mini pies (with or without crumbs), scones, and a variety of cookies.
Take-Home Treats and Snacks for Your Pup
The Farmers' Market also is a great place to stock up on homemade jellies, jams and spreads, various sauces, and unique creations such as sweet-potato syrup. Finally, you certainly can't forget about your pooch. From sweet-potato sticks to mini-pizzas, there is quite a variety of canine treats from which to choose. In fact, you might even allow your pet to chose his or her treat, since dogs are welcome at the market!
Next to the outdoor grocery area, you'll find a myriad of creatively crafted items. If you're shopping on a budget, again it might be wise to peruse all of the merchandise before deciding on what you wish to purchase. Here are some of the offerings you'll find:
- Seashells: While you're at the shore, of course, acquiring a few seashells and/or seashell- crafted items at the Farmers' Market is a must.
- Signs: If you're drawn to signage that makes a statement, you'll find a wide variety of colorful plaques that you can display to proclaim your proclivities.
- Flowers and Plants: There are also beautiful flowers and plants for sale. If you prefer plants but don't have the best of luck caring for them, head for the stand that features cactus plants (which require only once-a-week misting) ensconced in various planters.
- Jewelry: Jewelry lovers might have a difficult time choosing among all the attractive pieces.
- Sports-Related Art: Sports fans can show their allegiance to various teams by purchasing hand-crafted lamps, clocks, etc. that display the appropriate logo. Some of the beautiful artwork also showcases your favorite teams.
- Personal Care Items: An interesting array of personal care items (various hair sprays, deodorants, creams and much more) might also tempt you.
- Tie-Dye, Garden Art, and Other Crafts: As you can see, fans of tie-dye have quite a selection from which to choose, as do those who find playing with Slime a clever, relaxing way to pass the time. As a matter of fact, the crayon stand might fill that bill, too. You won't be able to pass by booths offering unusual items such as Rusty Garden Art and Mermaid Sea Glitter without checking them out, either.
When you've finished your tour of the creative and culinary delights that comprise the Ocean City Farmers Market, you'll be ready to head for the beach or the boardwalk. Enjoy!
PatriciaTL on August 12, 2018:
Thanks so much, Liz!
PatriciaTL on August 12, 2018:
I’m sure you’d enjoy it, Louise!
Liz Westwood from UK on August 12, 2018:
This is a fascinating article with great illustrations. The attention to detail makes me feel like I have been there myself.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on August 11, 2018:
That looks a great place to visit, I'd love to go there sometime. I love the donuts!