More Funny Southern Sayings and Southernisms From Readers
Southernisms and Funny Southern Sayings
Well, doggone it, I must have started something when I wrote my first article on southern sayings! Those Southerners, bless their pea pickin’ hearts, just popped up out of the cornfield with a whole passel of sayings that I had never heard before. Sayings that came from their old Daddy or Mama, Grandma or Aunt Sadie and were carried on in family tradition spreading across the country and even up into Yankee country.
For your enjoyment, I’ve collected some of the Southernisms (that really is a word, y’all!) and funny Southern sayings that were left in the comments section of my article: Funny Southern Sayings - Meaning of Southern Expressions. Thank you everyone who added to my collection of funny Southern sayings!
I hope you get as much of a chuckle out of these additional funny Southern sayings as I did.
Sayings About Being Slow
So we're off like a herd of turtles with Sherry Hewins, whose Texas mom says,
- You're slower than cream rising on buttermilk. For those of you who never lived down on the farm, there is no cream on buttermilk!
Two of our favorite Tammies like these funny sayings about being hot:
- It is hotter than two rats f%$^**(&^ in a wool sock.
- It is hotter than a jalepeno's cutchie. ...That is pretty hot!
- It's hotter than forty hells in here...
- I'm sweating like a whore in church.
Southernisms from Way Back
mollymeadows has a few interesting Southernisms from her family:
- A crowded room is "working alive".
- A freezing morning is "cold as a wedge."
- A man and women who are having an argument can be said to have "fit."
- If they "foughten," it means they were throwing chairs.
PurvisBobbi44 has an aunt who really did say,
- Kiss my grits!
Expressions From Transplanted Southerners
Lilleyth discovered that
- A “buggy” is a shopping cart.
Denise Handlon found that
- Knee babies are toddlers.
- And “tea” can only mean Southern style sweet tea!
Favorite Southern Sayings
If something is really, really, good, FreezeFrame34 says,
- That’s so good, it makes me wanna slap my mamma! (No joke, Yankees, this saying is also the basis for brand of seasonings, Slap Ya Mamma!)
robie2 has two favorite Southern sayings,
- slicker than sh*t on a hoe handle.
- She was nervous as a whore in church.
RedElf explains his favorite saying,
- We done plowed this furrow clean down to the bedrock! Time to rest the mule, Ma. Translation: We've already discussed this - let's move on...
Marcy Goodfleisch has a list:
- I'll kill you & swear you died.
- If you don't stop, I'll tear your arm off and beat you to death with the bloody stump (a favorite of frustrated moms when kids are being wild)
- It was a bird's nest on the ground. (it was easy - a piece of cake - fell into his hands)
- Half a brick short of a load
- Fixin' to go.
- Let's call a spade a shovel
Are You From the South?
Are you a SouthernerSee results without voting
MarcusJ tells about his uncle,
- …When he was angry with us kids and about to dispense some country discipline on us would say "Boy, I'm about to cloud up and rain all over you"
WD Curry 111
- Is a five pound robin fat (apparently, it’s obvious!)
- If you are feeling froggy . . . jump! If you want to fight . . . make a move.
- I think you are as fine as frogs hair, and as sweet as Cleopatra's wine. That’s a complement!)
KCap adds these colorful sayings,
- He is as happy as a pig in poop.
- I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm not that gullible.
- My Dad likes to mix this with I wasn't born yesterday and say "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday"
- Lunch puppy. Someone who eats a lot.
- Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I will do my best.
- I feel like a can of mashed assholes. I'm hungover.
Nasty Habit from West Virginia added these knee slappers the list:
- It takes money to ride the train and drink likker. Can't afford whatever yer wantin' to buy.
- It won't be long now, said the cat when they cut off its tail. About having patience.
- It'll make yer liver quiver and yer bladder splatter. About something funny or surprising.
- Don't get yer bowels in an uproar, yer kidneys in a downpour and yer liver in a jar. Calm down.
- "It will make yer tongue slap yer brains out." Delicious!
Talk about Slow and Ugly!
xstatic say that an old friend used to say,
- He ain't good lookin' but he sure is dumb.
- And his mama said, "She is so ugly, her face would turn sweet milk to clabber (sour)."
sgbrown finally explains the popcorn fart:
- Now, regarding the "popcorn fart". My hubby and I agreed on this: Popcorn is very dry and gives your gas. Thus, dryer than a popcorn fart. Now...Eatin' greens might give you "wet farts", so be careful there!
JayeWisdom claims she's “a deep-fried Southerner”, and reminds us of these popular Southern expressions:
- That dog won’t hunt.
- It's handier than a shirt on a pocket!
Haint's are explained:
Georgie Lowery, a Southerner transplanted to Yankee territory informs us,
- A 'haint' is a ghost, or a haunt. One thing I do remember about the people who were really old when I was a kid, was that if you put a colander under the bed, the haint would get confused. It would have to stop and count all the holes in it before it could mess with you. (My best friend, who is also a southerner, said that it was the same with witches. People would often put something with a lot of holes for the witch to count by keyholes in doors and in chimneys.)
Hillbilly77 contributed some great Alabama Southernisms:
- A strong fart in a whirlwind would blow him away. Referring to an extremely thin person.
- Lost as last year's Easter egg. Confused.
- Got on a frog, Farted.
- Slicker than greased owl s#$t. Something looks nice or has a smooth surface. Can also be used to describe con-artists, scoundrels, and silk-tongued lawyers.
- Useless as hen-sh%&t on a pump handle. Someone not very intelligent.
- Hotter than a pepper sprout. Very hot.
- Did it in a fever. Made an uninformed, rash decision.
- You're going to hell on a scholarship...a full ride to hell.
- She's so fat if she had to haul ass she'd have to make 2 trips.
- She's so skinny she'd fall through her ass and hang herself.
And from Michelle's Southern Gran:
- He has less sense than you could slap on a gnats a$$ with a butter paddle!
- He's nothing but a facified fart! - someone not worth your time,
Old Favorite Terms
- Actin’ crazier than a sprayed roach.
- Faster than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking competition.
- This ain’t my first rodeo.
- So broke, I can’t pay attention.
- It was a bird's nest on the ground.
- Crumb snatchers
Messed up or crooked
- All jacked up
If someone isn't so smart we also say that
- He's dumber 'n a coalbucket.
- The light's on but nobody's home.
- The elevator don't quite reach the top.
- She's dumber than a bag of hammers.
and we can't forget:
- He couldn't tell his a** from a hole in the ground.
He's half a brick short of a load.
Thanks to readers who contributed to this collection of Southernisms
I'd like to thank all of the readers who commented on my first article on funny Southern sayings and who made this article possible by contributing the Southernisms above. If you haven't already read my flagship article on Funny Southern Sayings, well be sure to click on the link below for a rib tickling read:
So there you go, boys and girls. I hope you've enjoyed this list of Southernisms courtesy of my favorite readers and writers.
Y'all come back now!
More by this Author
Winter visitors to Arizona who stay into spring may be lucky enough to see the desert come alive with tiny desert wildflowers and cacti in bloom. Here are a selection of photos by Stephanie Henkel of southern Arizona...
Photographs of cactus of the southwest deserts in their natural environments. Includes cactus from Big Bend National Park, Organ Pipe National Monument and Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.
Yankees and Southerners alike will enjoy these funny sayings collected from across the South. If you need help interpreting the meaning of these expressions, well here it is! Great list of Southernisms!