Places to Visit in Mumbai for Couples: Ideas and Tips
Dedicated to my ex-girlfriend (If you believe ... she doesn't).
When I am at the Juhu beach without her,
I am annoyed.
Noisy, clamorous, cacophonous
as the Mumbai local train.
But along with my girlfriend,
I watch the Arabian sea from the shorelines,
Perch on her thighs,
Those were my feelings, in poetry form, about visiting Juhu Beach with my girlfriend.
Looking for places to visit in Mumbai with your partner? Mumbai is a coastal city surrounded by beaches. It's by no means short of fascinating places that you would love to visit with your girlfriend or boyfriend.
If you want to spend a memorable day with your partner, read the suggestions, tips, and to-do's below.
In this list you will find some of the obvious places, as well as advice directly from my heart (though some ideas that I share can seem bizarre).
1. Visit Juhu Beach in the morning. The mornings are less crowded and if lucky you'll find one of the Bollywood stars. Avoid visiting the beach on weekends when it's crowded. Chowpatty joan, Bhelpuri khoa.
2. For a great sea view you can also consider Nariman Point and Worli Seaface.
3. Walk along Marine Drive with your lover. Adore the beautiful seafront and the contrasting skyscrapers. The entire stretch is more than two kilometers, so a good thing would be to stop in between, and have a refreshing coconut juice.
4. Alternatively, get your bike and go on a fast drive along Marine Drive with your lady love.
5. Carter Road Promenade can also be a nice place to walk hand-in-hand for lovebirds. Just walk chatting, and you could wrap up the one-kilometer stretch in less than 15 minutes. Spend some time, and then walk back to the starting point.
6. Go to the Bandstand and find a secluded place to spend some quality time.
7. If you live near Bandra West, encourage your partner to come for a jog at the Joggers' Park. Nice way to start your day and to shed those extra pounds.
8. Or if you don't live near Bandra, enroll in a nearby gym and visit with your beau.
9. Are you on a budget? Visit the nearest cinema hall and watch a movie. The trick here is to buy tickets for a movie that is a dud at the box office. The hall will largely be empty and there won't be any peeping toms to distract you. At the G7 multiplex at Bandra, you'll probably find at least one such empty theatre.
10. Alternatively, watch DDLJ at Maratha Mandir.
11. Or buy a romantic movie DVD and watch it with your love, although finding a suitable place to enjoy the movie can be yet another hurdle.
12. If you get bored of visiting Juhu Beach, visit Madh Island or Arnala Beach for a change.
13. And there are many more options in the beach category, such as Marve, Manori, Gorai or Kalamb. Kalamb Beach can be dirty, but there are cheap rooms available and the owners also offer great traditional recipes at economical rates.
14. Closer in towards the city there is Versova Beach. If you have heard that it is the filthiest beach in Mumbai, then think again, as recently the BMC and other organizations did a sweep cleaning. Spend an evening here to relish the experience. Travel on the Mumbai Metro back to your place.
15. Visit Essel World or Water Kingdom.
16. If the above theme parks interest you, we have one more option here with Adlabs Imagica, among the best attractions near Mumbai. It is a little far from Mumbai but definitely worth the visit.
17. Visit the Hanging Gardens in the early morning or late evening. Have a leisurely walk with your love in the beautiful garden.
18. If you have a daredevil streak in you, then head to Powai Lake. I say "daredevil" because I've heard of many couples getting harassed by the police here. But I still see many couples having a good time here.
19. Go on a shopping spree at the nearest mall. Girls like shopping more than anything else.
20. Or go window shopping, and feed her/him a vada pav at a nearby stall.
21. On a Sunday go to the iconic Gateway of India. Just remember that it will be crowded; it's a starting point for many who come here as a tourist. Click some photographs with the backdrop of the Taj hotel. Nearby there is Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, and, for museum lovers, the National Gallery of Modern Art.
22. And don't wrap up your Gateway visit just yet. Take a ferry and visit the Elephanta Caves.
23. Go on a one-day visit to these places: Kanheri Caves, Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Matheran, Lonavala, Khandala (remember the Aamir Khan song?) or Alibaug.
24. Mumbai is famous for its fresh seafood. Visit a nearby restaurant and indulge in the ultimate traditional Mumbaikar food experience.
25. Of late there has also been a buzz about Mumbai's theme restaurants. Pick one that looks promising and visit it.
26. Visit an art gallery: truly soothing and wonderful.
27. If it's mid-September, then you must visit the Mount Mary Fair at Bandra.
28. Another way to spend your day with your partner is to get a daily pass on the BEST bus and roam the city. Plan your day with the help of a guidebook or the Internet. Very economical and a good experience, if you plan well.
29. If the Ganesh Chaturthi fest is going on, then you must visit the Lalbaugcha Raja. If you are a non-believer, just see the queue and you'll believe. Bring some of your friends to make the experience a lot better. The darshan might take your entire day; isn't that what you want?
30. And if not all is going well with your partner, then get divine intervention in your life at Siddhivinayak Temple or Mahalaxmi Temple. Haji Ali Dargah is close by as well.
31. As early as possible, introduce your partner to your family. Better late than never. Chai pe bulau yaar usse.
If you have more suggestions, ideas, or tips of your own, share them in the "comments" box below.
Recommendations From Readers: Places for Couples to Visit
- Borivali National Park
- Sion Fort
- City park (B.K.C)
- Chhota Kashmir (Goregaon)
- Priyadarshini Park at Napensea Road (hours: 7 AM to 11 AM and 4 PM to 7 PM)
And Finally ...
I started with a poem; let me finish with another one. A simple poem to celebrate the feeling of togetherness.
What is love?
Love is you,
Love is me,
Love is we, not you and not me.
More by this Author
So you want know about the famous and most amazing Hindu temples of India. Here is the list of top 20 best temples in India.