Places to Visit in Mumbai for Couples: Suggestions, Ideas, and Tips
When I am at the Juhu beach without her,
I am annoyed.
Noisy, clamorous, cacophonous
as the Mumbai local train.
But along with my girlfriend,
I watch the Arabian sea from the shorelines,
Perch on her thighs,
Those were my imaginative feelings, in poetry form, about a couple visiting Juhu Beach.
Looking for places to visit in Mumbai with your partner? Mumbai is a coastal city surrounded by beaches. It's by no means short of fascinating places that you would love to visit with your girlfriend or boyfriend.
If you want to spend a memorable day with your partner, read the suggestions, tips, and to-dos below.
In this list you will find some of the obvious places, as well as advice directly from my heart (Though some ideas that I share can seem weird or bizarre, anyway weirdness is in these days).
1. Juhu Beach - Visit Juhu Beach in the morning. The mornings are less crowded and if lucky you'll find one of the Bollywood stars. Avoid visiting the beach on weekends when it's crowded. Chowpatty jao, Bhelpuri khao.
2. Worli Seaface - For a great sea view, you can also consider Nariman Point and Worli Seaface.
3. Marine Drive - Walk along Marine Drive with your lover. Adore the beautiful seafront and the contrasting skyscrapers. The entire stretch is more than two kilometers, so a good thing would be to stop in between, and have a refreshing coconut juice.
4. Bike Ride at Marine Drive - Alternatively, get your bike and go on a fast drive along Marine Drive with your lady love.
5. Long Drive - Just hop onto your car/bike and go on a long drive. A road trip is a wonderful experience with your loved one. Mumbai-Pune, Mumbai-Lonavala can be completed in a day.
6. Carter Road - Carter Road Promenade can also be a nice place to walk hand-in-hand for lovebirds. Just walk chatting, and you could wrap up the one-kilometer stretch in less than 15 minutes. Spend some time, and then walk back to the starting point.
7. Bandstand - Go to the Bandstand and find a secluded place to spend some quality time. This is by far the most visited lover's spot in Mumbai. So there would be many couples over here but beware of the miscreants who create trouble.
8. Joggers Park - If you live near Bandra West, encourage your partner to come for a jog at the Joggers' Park. Nice way to start your day and to shed those extra pounds.
9. Gym Membership - Or if you don't live near Bandra, enroll in a nearby gym and visit with your beau.
10. Run a Half Marathon Together - If you are not a gym person then register for running a marathon or a 10 KM race. In this way, you will practice running with your partner thereby spending more time together. Getting fit together will make your bond stronger.
11. Watch a movie - Are you on a budget? Visit the nearest cinema hall and watch a movie. The trick here is to buy tickets for a movie that is a dud at the box office. The hall will largely be empty and there won't be any peeping toms to distract you. At the G7 multiplex at Bandra, you'll probably find at least one such empty theater.
12. Maratha Mandir - Alternatively, watch DDLJ at Maratha Mandir.
13. Romantic Movie - Or buy a romantic movie DVD and watch it with your love, although finding a suitable place to enjoy the movie can be yet another hurdle. If you don't find a place to watch together then pick a movie from YouTube and watch at your respective homes and discuss the movie when you meet or call next time.
14. Comedy Movie - In love, you don't get bored of romantic movies but I find comedy movies better. Watch and laugh out loud together.
15. Beach Ideas - If you get bored of visiting Juhu Beach, visit Madh Island or Arnala Beach for a change.
16. Beaches, Beaches - And there are much more options in the beach category, such as Marve, Manori, Gorai or Kalamb. Kalamb Beach can be dirty, but there are cheap rooms available and the owners also offer great traditional recipes at economical rates.
17. One more Beach - Closer in towards the city there is Versova Beach. If you have heard that it is the filthiest beach in Mumbai, then think again, as recently the BMC and other organizations did a sweep cleaning. Spend an evening here to relish the experience. Travel in the Mumbai Metro back to your place.
18. Amusement Park - Visit Essel World or the Water Kingdom.
19. Adlabs Imagica - If the above theme parks interest you, we have one more option here with Adlabs Imagica, among the best attractions near Mumbai. It is a little far from Mumbai but definitely worth the visit.
20. Hanging Gardens - Visit the Hanging Gardens in the early morning or late evening. Have a leisurely walk with your love in the beautiful garden.
21. Powai Lake - If you have a daredevil streak in you, then head to Powai Lake. I say "Daredevil" because I've heard of many couples getting harassed by the police here. But I still see many couples having a good time as well.
22. Shopping - Go on a shopping spree at the nearest mall. Girls like shopping more than anything else.
23. Window Shopping - Or go window shopping, and feed her/him a vada pav at a nearby stall.
24. Gateway of India - On a Sunday visit the iconic Gateway of India. Just remember that it will be crowded; it's a starting point for many who come here as a tourist. Click some photographs with the backdrop of the Taj hotel. Nearby there is Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, and, for museum lovers, the National Gallery of Modern Art.
25. Elephanta Caves - And don't wrap up your Gateway visit just yet. Take a ferry and visit the Elephanta Caves.
26. Day Picnic - Go on a one-day visit to these places: Kanheri Caves, Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Matheran, Lonavala, Khandala (remember the Aamir Khan song?) or Alibaug.
27. Seafood Restaurant - Mumbai is famous for its fresh seafood. Visit a nearby restaurant and indulge in the ultimate traditional Mumbaikar food experience. The below pic is from Gajalee which serves mouth-watering seafood dishes.
28. Theme Restaurants - Of late there has also been abuzz about Mumbai's theme restaurants. Pick one that looks promising to visit.
29. Art Gallery - Visit an art gallery: truly soothing and wonderful.
30. Bandra Fair - If it's mid-September, then you must visit the Mount Mary Fair at Bandra.
31. Roam in BEST Bus - Another way to spend your day with your partner is to get a daily pass on the BEST bus and roam the city. Plan your day with the help of a guidebook or the Internet. Very economical and a good experience, if you plan well.
32. Lalbaugcha Raja - If the Ganesh Chaturthi fest is going on, then you must visit the Lalbaugcha Raja. If you are a non-believer, just see the queue and you'll believe. Bring some of your friends to make the experience a lot better. The darshan might take your entire day; isn't that what you want?
33. More Temples - And if not all is going well with your partner, then get divine intervention in your life at Siddhivinayak Temple or Mahalaxmi Temple. Haji Ali Dargah is close by as well.
34. Romantic Songs - If all is good between you and your baby then listen to some Bollywood romantic songs together.
35. Borivali National Park - Another calm and serene place is the Sanjay Gandhi National Park. The park timings are 7.30 am to 5.30 pm. You can roam around the place or go for a Lion Safari. You can also indulge in some boating for a fee.
36. Chhota Kashmir - One more option for boating is Chhota Kashmir in Aarey milk colony, Goregaon. You'll find many couples here and is a great place to spend an evening.
37. Sion Hillock Fort - Closer in the suburbs you can visit the Sion Fort. From Sion station, it takes 15-20 minutes to reach the spot.
38. Citi Park, BKC - Staying with the suburbs you can sit hand in hand with your partner at this open park.
39. Priyadarshini Park, Napeansea Rd. - One more park recommendation is the PDP. Timings are 7 am to 11 am and 4 pm to 7 pm.
40. Hidden Village Resort - If you have a considerable amount of time then spend a day at Hidden Village Resort. This place is a bit far away but the hospitality and the place will be a sure treat on his/her birthday. Rooms are available either on whole day/night basis. This can be a costly but worth visiting at least once. Having experienced the place I must say this is a couples paradise.
Side Note - As early as possible, introduce your partner to your family. Better late than never. Chai pe bulau yaar usse.
If you have more suggestions, ideas, or tips of your own, share them in the comments box below.
And Finally ...
I started with a poem; let me finish with another one. A simple poem to celebrate the feeling of togetherness.
What is love?
Love is you,
Love is me,
Love is we, not you and not me.
© 2011 Kannan Reddy