36 Romantic Places for Couples to Visit in Mumbai
Are you looking for places to visit in Mumbai with your partner? This coastal city is surrounded by beaches and full of fascinating places that are perfect for visiting with your girlfriend or boyfriend.
If you want to spend a memorable day with your partner, read the suggestions below. This list offers a mix of places—some popular and others lesser-known—and all the advice you find here comes directly from my heart.
Top 36 Things for Couples to See and Do in Mumbai
1. Juhu Beach. Visit Juhu Beach in the morning when it is less crowded. If you're lucky, you might even spot a Bollywood star! Avoid visiting the beach on weekends when it's teeming with people. Don't forget to try some food from one of the stalls near the beach. The bhelpuri, a dish often associated with Juhu, is my favorite.
2. Worli Seaface. For a great sea view, consider visiting Nariman Point and Worli Seaface.
3. Marine Drive. Walk or bike along Marine Drive with your lover and take in the beautiful seafront and contrasting skyscrapers. The entire stretch is more than two kilometers, so I recommend stopping for a refreshing coconut juice along the way.
4. Long Drive. Hop in your car and go for a long drive. A road trip with your loved one can be a wonderful experience. A trip to Mumbai-Pune and Mumbai-Lonavala can be completed in a day.
5. Carter Road. Carter Road Promenade can also be a nice place for lovebirds to walk hand-in-hand. You could easily complete this one-kilometer stretch in less than 15 minutes, but why not take your time and then walk back to the starting point, chatting all the while?
6. Bandstand. Go to the Bandstand and find a secluded place to spend some quality time. This is by far the most visited lovers' spot in Mumbai, so don't go expecting to have the place to yourselves, and beware of miscreants who go there and create trouble.
7. Joggers' Park. If you live near Bandra West, encourage your partner to come for a jog at the Joggers' Park. This is a nice way to start your day and shed those extra pounds.
8. Gym Membership. If you don't live near Bandra, enroll at a nearby gym and visit with your beau/belle.
9. Run a Half Marathon Together. If you are not a gym person, register to run a marathon or a 10K. Practicing running with your partner means spending more time together. Getting fit together will also make your bond stronger.
10. Watch a Movie. Are you on a budget? Visit the nearest cinema hall and watch a movie. The trick here is to buy tickets for a movie that is a dud at the box office. That way the hall will largely be empty, and there won't be any peeping toms to distract you. At the G7 multiplex at Bandra, you'll probably find at least one such empty theater.
11. Maratha Mandir. Alternatively, watch Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) at Maratha Mandir.
12. Romantic Movie. You can also buy a romantic DVD and watch it with your love, although finding a suitable place to enjoy it can be yet another hurdle. If you can't find a place to watch it together, pick a movie on YouTube to watch at your respective homes, then discuss it when you meet or talk next.
13. Comedy Movie. When you're in love, you don't get bored of romantic movies, but I still prefer comedies. Watch one and laugh out loud together.
14. More Beaches! If you get bored of visiting Juhu Beach, try one of these:
- Versova Beach - If you have heard that this is the filthiest beach in Mumbai, think again; the BMC and other organizations recently did a massive beach cleanup. Spend an evening here to relish the experience before traveling back to your place via the Mumbai Metro. Or visit the next one in this last.
- Madh Island - This is a picnic spot in itself. You have the option of going by road or taking a ferry from Versova. Once famous place here is the Aksa beach as well you can visit the Madh Fort.
- Arnala Beach - A breath of fresh air awaits you on this serene location. This place is in Virar, yes you are thinking right, a bit far away.
- Kalamb Beach - This beach can be dirty, but there are cheap rooms available, and the owners offer great, traditional meals at fair rates. The closest railway station is Nalasopara.
- Marve Beach - Closer in the western suburb of Malad is Marve beach.
- Manori Beach - Another option for beach lovers.
- Gorai Beach - One more near Manori.
- Uttan Beach - Unknown hence few people will be there. So, get onto your bike and drive to this peaceful place. The ride is around 12 KM from Bhayandar.
15. Amusement Parks. Visit Essel World, the Water Kingdom, or Adlabs Imagica. Adlabs Imagica is among the best attractions near Mumbai, and though it is a little far from Mumbai, it is definitely worth a visit.
16. Hanging Gardens. Visit the Hanging Gardens in the early morning or late evening for a leisurely walk with your love.
17. Powai Lake. If you're a bit of a daredevil, head to Powai Lake. I say 'daredevil' because I've heard of many couples getting harassed by the police here. But I still see many couples having a good time as well.
18. Go to the Mall. Go on a shopping spree at the nearest mall.
19. Window Shopping. Or go window shopping, and feed her/him a vada pav from a nearby stall.
20. Gateway of India. On Sunday, visit the iconic Gateway of India and snap some photographs with the backdrop of the Taj hotel. Just remember that it will be crowded; it's a starting point for many who come here as tourists. For museum lovers, swing by the nearby Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya—the main museum in Mumbai—and the National Gallery of Modern Art.
21. Elephanta Caves. Don't wrap up your Gateway visit just yet. Instead, take a ferry and visit the Elephanta Caves.
22. Day Picnic. Pack a picnic and go on a day trip to one of these places:
- Kanheri Caves - For history lovers.
- Karnala Bird Sanctuary - For bird lovers.
- Matheran - For hill station lovers.
- Lonavala - Another for the hilly guys.
- Khandala - Remember the Aamir Khan song?
- Alibaug - For the explorer types!
23. Seafood Restaurant. Mumbai is famous for its fresh seafood. Visit a nearby restaurant and indulge in this ultimate traditional Mumbaikar food experience. The photo below is from Gajalee, which serves mouth-watering seafood dishes.
24. Theme Restaurants. Lately, there has been a lot of buzz about Mumbai's theme restaurants. Pick one that looks fun and head out for a bite.
25. Art Gallery. Visit an art gallery. This is a truly soothing and wonderful experience to share with your loved one.
26. Bandra Fair. If you happen to be in Mumbai in mid-September, then you must visit the Mount Mary Fair at Bandra.
27. Hop on the BEST Bus. Another way to spend your day with your partner is to get a day pass for the BEST bus and roam the city. Plan your day with the help of a guidebook or the Internet. This can be a very cost-effective and fun experience if you plan well.
28. Lalbaugcha Raja. If the Ganesh Chaturthi fest is going on, then you must visit the Lalbaugcha Raja. If you are a non-believer, seeing the queue might just make you change your mind! Bring some of your friends to make the experience even better. The darshan might take your entire day, but isn't that what you want?
29. More Temples. If all is not going well with your partner, you can seek divine intervention at Siddhivinayak Temple or Mahalaxmi Temple. Haji Ali Dargah is also close by.
30. Romantic Songs. If all is good between you and your baby, then listen to some romantic Bollywood songs together.
31. Borivali National Park. Another calm and serene place is the Sanjay Gandhi National Park. The park is open daily from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. If you're on a budget, you can simply roam around the place. Otherwise, go for a Lion Safari or indulge in some boating.
32. Chhota Kashmir. Another option for boating is Chhota Kashmir in Goregaon's Aarey Milk Colony. You'll find many couples here, and it is a great place to spend an evening.
33. Sion Hillock Fort. Closer to the suburbs you can visit the Sion Fort. From Sion station, it takes 15-20 minutes on foot to reach the spot.
34. Citi Park, BKC. Sticking with the suburbs, you can sit hand in hand with your partner at this open park.
35. Priyadarshini Park, Napeansea Road. My last park recommendation is the PDP, which is open daily from 7 am to 11 am and from 4 pm to 7 pm.
36. Hidden Village Resort. If you have a considerable amount of time (and a good bit of money), spend a day at Hidden Village Resort. This place is somewhat far away (about two hours by car), but the hospitality and locale are worth the effort, and it's a great place to take your significant other on his/her birthday. Rooms are available on a whole day/night basis. This can be costly, but it is worth visiting at least once. Having experienced this place, I must say it is a couples' paradise.
Please enjoy this simple poem to celebrate the feeling of togetherness.
What is love?
Love is you,
Love is me,
Love is we, not you and not me.
In my experience, it is best to introduce your partner to your family as early as possible. Chai pe bulau yaar usse.
If you have more suggestions, ideas, or tips of your own, please share them in the comments box below.
Questions & Answers
Where are some best places to kiss your lover in Mumbai?
Public displays of affection are illegal in India, even if that's with your wife or husband.
But as you may know, you can find couples openly indulging in PDAs at Bandstand or a quiet place at many of the beaches of Mumbai. Also, couples are known to do their stuff in the darkness of a cinema hall. Nowadays you can go to any nearby resort and have some personal time. You have the option of booking a room within the city through OYO rooms or similar apps. Search for hotels where they accept local IDs.Helpful 70
© 2011 Kannan Reddy