Welcome to WanderWisdom
! A community of adventurers, travelers, and wanderers who come together to share experience and knowledge about exploring all over the world. From the lush green hills of Ireland, to the golden coast of California, to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, this is the place to write about where to visit, how to get where you’re going, what not to miss, and most importantly, to share with readers the awe and reverence that going somewhere new inspires within us all.
To write for WanderWisdom, authors must comply with HubPages’s Editorial Policy, which can be found on our HubPages’s Editorial Policy page. In addition to these requirements, we have listed below some recommendations and tips on how to craft high quality articles for this particular site.
What We Like to See:
- Specificity and Details: We recommend including specific, useful details that inform potential travelers about how and why to travel to specific destinations. Give us that little travel tidbit that only you know because of your own experiences, or give readers specifics about what was good or bad about a place or attraction—this will make your article stand out amongst the mass of travel writing that is available online nowadays.
- Write From Experience: It is best if articles are written from the informed perspective of someone who has actually traveled to a specific place or by way of a specific mode of transportation. We want our authors to be writing from a place of knowledge, and it is optimal when it’s easily apparent to readers that they can trust the information and recommendations that you share.
- Original and Beautiful Photos: It’s wonderful when articles contain high-quality images, preferably taken by the author. If not taken by the author, it helps if photos are at least accurately sourced and of high quality. Travel writing is greatly enhanced by photos of a beautiful location that make you ache to go there. Not only will these images help you retain readers on your page, it also increases your credibility as an author when the images prove you have actually visited the location in question.
- Numbered Lists: If an article lists a number in the title (i.e.: “Top 10 Best Beaches in California”), it is much more readable if the items on the list are numbered throughout the text. This improved readability will increase the likelihood that readers will finish reading the article in its entirety.
- Map Consolidation: While it is not required to include a map in every article, some authors like to include multiple. If so, it is best to consolidate locations listed in the article into one or two map capsules as opposed to one different map for every location. Here is an example.
What to Avoid:
- Uninformed Promotion: Similar to products, recommendations for the services of merchants or lodging should only be included if the author has personal experience with the particular service and can give an unbiased review. Authors shouldn’t recommend something to readers that they haven’t tried as this can reduce reader trust.
- Purely Personal Content: Articles should not be solely comprised of personal anecdotes, stories, or itineraries. While personal travel stories can be interesting, we are looking for pieces that will help readers who are looking to plan a trip. This means it is best when an author can strike a fine balance of concrete information and personal experience in order to help readers plan a trip and make it their own. Articles that don’t strike this balance and instead just tell a travel story are better suited for other platforms such as blogs.
Here are some examples of articles on WanderWisdom that exhibit the type of high-quality work we wish to see on the site:
A quick note: All of the HubPages network sites are a blending of professional editing and writers like you.
If you are intrigued by our community and would like to write for WanderWisdom, we’d love to have you! In order to set up an account to begin writing, please sign up on HubPages. Articles are initially written on our parent platform and then, if they are high enough quality, moved to one of our network sites like WanderWisdom.